Thursday, June 30, 2011

Editing Tutorial

Today I'm going to show you exactly how I edited a photo.

First, here is my image *SOOC {straight-out-of-the-camera}:

029 by mommytography365, on Pix-O-Sphere


While I was lying in the grass taking multiple shots, in my mind I set up the shot using the Rule of Thirds {RO3}. Our dog was looking to the right, so I wanted more space on the right hand side of the frame.

After downloading the picture off of my SD card & viewing it in PS7, I wanted to increase/highlight the RO3. So I cropped off a portion of the left side:

029cropRO3 by mommytography365, on Pix-O-Sphere


This really draws the eye to the dog & makes you wonder what the dog is looking at.

Next, I sharpened the image by going to Filter -> Sharpen -> Unsharp Mask. When the box pops up, make sure the Preview box is checked & scroll the image in the box to a portion of the image that you can see well. The values that I used on this particular image are Amount {65%} - Radius {1.0 pixels} - Threshold {1 levels}. The percentage amount of your particular image will vary.

029filtersharpenunsharpenmask65threshhold1 by mommytography365, on Pix-O-Sphere


Then, I adjust the curves. Under the Layers tab, click the half-black-half-white circle. This brings up the Curves window. With the Channel tab at the top under RGB, I adjusted the curves to the Input=193 & Output=216. This is the outcome.

029input193output216curves by mommytography365, on Pix-O-Sphere


Next, I want to highlight the dog & center of the picture by using the Touch-of-Light/Touch-of-Dark Action. Under the Actions Tab, I find the TOL/TOD Action & run it. The center portion of the picture is already light enough, so I don't highlight it any more {using the Touch-of-Light layer}. I use the #300 soft brush to darken the edges of the picture {under the Touch-of-Dark layer}. The opacity is set at 66%.

029TLTD66dark0lite by mommytography365, on Pix-O-Sphere


Finally, I resize my image for web use & add my watermark on a new layer & lower the opacity "to taste". Image -> Resize Image -> {make sure the "Constrain Proportions" box is checked} Then my variables are always Resolution=72 pixels/inch & Width=700 pixels.

029wm by mommytography365, on Pix-O-Sphere


So here's the before & after.

029beforeafter by mommytography365, on Pix-O-Sphere


*The only change that has been made that is not listed in the editing steps is resizing of all of the images shown above to best fit on the blog.

1 comments:

Kristal said...

Nice job.

Post a Comment